Aside from the wonderful sense that one gets from this city, some specific highlights:
- Wandering the Topkapi Place (home of sultans for centuries) and its collection of jewels and historical items (Mohammed’s sword for a start).
- Seeing a thousand year old Christian murals side-by-side with Islamic art in the Aya Sofya (and eating corn in the square outside
- A real Turkish bath with scrubbing, soaping, massaging and all
- Being accused of not really being American when trying to bargain in the Spice Bazaar- since “Americans don’t bargain.” For all you non-hagglers out there you are giving us a bad reputation.
- Visiting the well preserved 1400-year old underground cistern that supplied water for the ancient rulers